Whether you are celebrating a milestone birthday or are simply having the entire family over, channel your inner baker to create this magnificently rich and silky cake. This dark chocolate mocha cake recipe is sure to become the star of the night especially after to pair it with some Mocha Swiss Meringue buttercream and chocolate ganache.
Among the easy mocha cake recipe you will find online, here is how you make this dreamy 36 inch – 3 layer cake –
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
For the Cake
- 1/5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4th cup Dutch-processed cocoa (sifted)
- 1/5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4th cup vegetable oil
- 3/4th cup strong brewed hot coffee
- 3/4th cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
For the Buttercream:
- ½ cup egg whites
- 5 cups cubed butter in room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 3 oz melted and cooled dark chocolate
For the Ganache
- 3 ounces Chocolate
- 3 ounces Heavy cream
Making the Chocolate Cake
- Grease three 6 inch round baking pans and dust it with cocoa powder. Make sure you line the bottoms with parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Put all the dry ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer that is fitted with a paddle. Stir it to combine.
- Now take a medium bowl to whisk all the wet ingredients. When pouring the coffee make sure that you do so slowly to avoid cooking the eggs, especially if your coffee is very hot.
- Mix all the wet ingredients to the dry ones on medium for 2 to 3 mins. Expect the batter to be very thing
- Now pour this picture evenly into the pans. Use a scale to make sure that the batter is distributed evenly
- Bake for 20 mins. However, remember to rotate the pans in the oven.
- Continue baking until the cake tester comes out clean. This could take about 30-35 mins.
Making the Mocha Buttercream
- Put all your sugar and egg whites in the stand mixer bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Place the bowl over hot water on a stove and continue to whist until it is no longer grainy.
- Now place the bowl in your stand mixer and whist on med-high until the meringue is cooled and stiff.
- Change the attachment to a paddle and slowly add the cubed butter and continue mixing until smooth.
- Now add the melted chocolate, espresso powder and vanilla.
- Continue to whip until smooth.
- Frost the cake and refrigerate before you add the ganache.
Making the Ganache
- Place finely chopped chocolate into a bowl, bring cream just about to sim before you pour it over the chocolate. Cover this for 2 minutes after which you can stir it with a spatula to smoothen and combine it. Cool it before you use it on the cake.
Complete your mocha cake recipe by using a small spoon to place dollops of the ganache around the edges of your cooled cake. Feel free to let some drip down. You can also fill the top with more ganache and spread evenly with a spatula.